This post is dedicated to aspiring writers, and to readers, interested in knowing how long it takes and steps taken in writing a book. Below is a status timeline for my forthcoming novel A MISTAKE INCOMPLETE, from concept to print.
Personally, I felt this book seemed to have gone a bit smoother and quicker than my first book THE LOVE FOOL, and for many reasons:
- THE LOVE FOOL was my first ever attempt into writing a book, and with that comes the typical hiccups of discovery and new experiences. This time around, I took what I’ve learned from writing my first book, and applied it to this second attempt. (I should make a separate post about this. TBD)
- Due to the impact of COVID-19 coronavirus, my day-job industry was put to a halt in mid-February/early-March 2020. So, like many others impacted, I was home a lot more than usual. I took this as a blessing and got to work on pushing forward with A MISTAKE INCOMPLETE. As a result, I am able to release the work sooner than I had anticipated.
Timeline: A MISTAKE INCOMPLETE
Follow the writing process of a part-time writer, and a self-published book. There are some links to writing specific blog posts. Notice many extensive writing breaks that have been taken as a result of day job, writers block, or other daily life obstacles.
- (more updates coming soon)
- 19 Oct 2020 – Uploaded all files for print. Paperback pre-order links will be ready soon.
- 19 Oct 2020 – Finalized cover size and layout for print.
- 14 Oct 2020 – Finalized interior print layout. Ready for file upload.
- 2 Oct 2020 – Reviewing print layout. Making notes for small changes.
- 16 Sept 2020 – Submitted final manuscript for interior print layout.
- 11 Sept 2020 – Started reviewing editor’s notes and making necessary corrections.
- 10 Sept 2020 – Received edits back from proofreader/editor.
- 9 Sept 2020 – Submitted book-related article to publication.
- 25 Aug 2020 – completed designs for web banner and ads.
- 24 July 2020 – Book cover revealed!
- 20 July 2020 – Started research on marketing opportunities.
- 15 July 2020 – Selected book cover designer. Awaiting a design.
- 13 July 2020 – Sent to copy editor for proofreading.
- 6 July 2020 – Manuscript returned with editing notes. Editing, rewriting, rearranging.. again. 64K
- 22 April 2020 – Sent manuscript to beta-reader
- 12 March 2020 – Querying Manuscript. WC: 63K
- 11 March 2020 – Draft TWO complete. WC: 62K
- 4 March 2020 – Commencing Draft 2.
- 19 Feb 2020 – First Draft: Completed. WC: 60K
- 5 Feb 2020 – WC: 49K
- 27 Jan 2020 – Page Count: 165 pages
- 10 Sept 2019 – Word Count (WC): 27K
- 20 Nov 2018 – Notes & ideas