The flavor of this drink is meant to offer a seductive lure with a hint of smoke or charcoal – as if a temptation from hell. I wanted it to be inviting, as if offered by the Devil as he welcomes you to hell. I imagined The Devil’s Greeting would be as inviting, convincing the drinker that they too have fallen into the right place.
Like a greeting from the lord of darkness, one would sip this cocktail with trepidation, eventually allowing themselves to be taken by the once most beautiful angel.
The Devil’s Greeting
- 1 oz mezcal
- 1 oz passionfruit liqueur
- 1 oz gomme syrup
- ½ oz carrot juice
- ½ oz orange juice
- 3-4 dashes orange bitter
- club soda
- Stir all ingredients (except club soda) with ice.
- Pour into a rocks glass with ice or one large ice cube.
- Top with club soda. Give it a gentle stir.
- Garnish with a dusting of black pepper and serve.
Make a large batch for your next gathering. Make a day or two ahead of time and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
½ cup mezcal
½ cup passion fruit liquor
½ cup gum syrup
¼ cup carrot juice
¼ cup orange juice