Skiers out there, this drink is for you.
In 2022, celebrate 50 years of the punchy Italian Alpine drink called il Bombardino.
This rich eggnog-like drink is popular with skiers in the Italian Alps, especially during their settimana bianca (white week): The name for a week Italian skiers take to slay the mountains.
Il Bombardino is a warm, cozy drink made with zabaglione liquor and brandy, topped with whipped cream. The drink’s strong alcoholic punch is what gave it its name, which translates to the little bomb.
Created in 1972 at the base of Mottolino mountain in the Italian Alps, Il Bombardino was originally made with warmed VOV liqueur and whiskey, topped with whipped cream. Over the years, the Bombardino recipe adapted to how it is made and served today, with Italian brandy instead of whiskey. Although, you can still get a whiskey version, which is now a variation known as il Scozzese (The Scotsman).
Of course, Il Bombardino can be made with any zabaglione flavored liqueur, but I used the renowned VOV. Created in 1845 in Padova, VOV got its name from the Venetian dialect word vovi (meaning eggs). The yellow liqueur is made with eggs and sugar, like traditional zabaglione cream, with a high alcohol content – adding a rich, thick, and creamy punch to any drink. VOV can be found in specialty liquor shops around the country.
So, put on your best après-ski-wear, sit by a crackling fire, and sip on your own Bombardino.
- 2 oz VOV zabaglione liqueur
- 1 oz Vecchia Romagna (or Italian brandy)
- whipped cream
- option: cocoa powder or cinnamon
- Using a small heatproof pitcher, warm the VOV zabaglione liqueur just to the touch. Not too hot.
- Remove from heat and add the brandy, stir gently just to mix.
- Pour into heatproof glass and top with whipped cream.
- Serve immediately. Add a spoon on the side for those don’t want to get their nose into the whipped cream.