This is my really simple twist on a basic Gin Rickey.
The gin: I wanted to highlight the delicious flavor of Monkey 47 gin; a small batch gin distilled in the botanical fairy tale woods of Germany’s Black Forest.
My little twist: Sage is a subtle herb that adds a depth to anything, and happens to be one of my favorites. In an effort to not overpower this exquisite gin, I used only a small amount of sage just for an added quirk.
The cup: Since this cocktail is a simple version of a classic Gin Rickey, it should be served in a highball (or a Collins) glass. But, let’s focus on how fantastic it looks in the official Monkey 47 earthenware Becher cup (pictured). Thanks to a really cool genie, I finally got my hands on this gorgeous vessel.
- 2 oz. Monkey 47 gin
- 1/2 oz. lime juice
- 2-3 fresh sage leaves (& more for garnish)
- Mull the Sage leaves with lime juice.
- Fill a highball glass with ice.
- Pour mulled sage lime juice over ice. (If you choose, you can use a sieve to filter out the leaves.)
- Pour in the Monkey 47 gin.
- Top with seltzer.
- Garnish with lime wheel (dried or fresh) and sage leaves.