The mint and licorice flavor of Fernet Branca mixed with whiskey and honey gives this drink a subtle resemblance of a refreshing iced tea. Topped off with a club soda turns it into a refreshing autumn sipper.
In creating this drink, I imagined the main character my book A MISTAKE INCOMPLETE. Stef’s incompetence as a thief who would rather sit at a café and socialize than complete his job. And I don’t blame him – it is a delicious drink after all. Hence, the name Il Ladro a Riposo (The Thief at Rest).
Il Ladro a Riposo
- 1 ½ oz. whiskey
- 1 oz. Fernet Branca
- ½ tsp. sage-infused honey*
- club soda
- orange wheel (for garnish)
- sage leaves (for garnish)
- Pour Fernet Branca, and sage honey into a mixing glass, and stir until emulsified.
- Pour into highball glass.
- Add whiskey.
- Add ice half way, and top with club soda, then give it a gentle stir.
- Garnish with orange wheel and a bunch of sage leaves.
- dried sage
- local honey (soft)
- Place dried sage into a small jar, pour honey (about half way) and stir well.
- Top with rest of honey and close lid tightly.
- Let sit for 5 days to allow the sage flavor to infuse into the honey.