For this cocktail, I was inspired by my first novel THE LOVE FOOL. This recipe was featured in the book club edition of THE LOVE FOOL, and in the summer 2020 issue of Sip the Magazine.
The color of this drink is reminiscent of the character Emily’s rich red hair. In fact, I named it ‘We Were Never Together (or Emily’s Response)’ because if Emily had a response for Alex, this would be it.
The gin is accompanied by two delicious Italian ingredients to take the drinker on a romantic escape to Rome. The Campari and black pepper evokes the bitterness of unrequited love, while the bergamot and the richness of the egg white represent a warm and friendly embrace.
Look for more recipes inspired by THE LOVE FOOL here.
Warning: Consuming raw or undercooked egg may increase your risk of foodborne illness.
We Were Never Together (or Emily’s Response)
- 1½ oz. gin
- 1 oz. Campari
- ⅓ oz. Italicus bergamot liqueur
- ¾ oz. simple syrup
- 1 egg white*
- 1 pinch finely ground black pepper (leave some for garnish)
- orange wheel
- floral bitter (optional)
- Add gin, Campari, Italicus bergamot liqueur, simple syrup, egg white, and most of the black pepper into shaker. (no ice)
- Dry shake (without ice) vigorously for about 30 seconds to create a foam.
- Add ice to tin and shake again for about 15-20 seconds, or until the outside of the tin frosts.
- Strain into a coupe glass.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of finely ground black pepper and an orange wheel.(optional: drop 3 dashes of floral bitter on top)