The color of this drink is reminiscent of the character Emily’s rich red hair. In fact, I named it ‘We Were Never Together (or Emily’s Response)’ because if Emily had a response for Alex, this would be it.
The gin is accompanied by two delicious Italian ingredients to take the drinker on a romantic escape to Rome. The Campari and black pepper evokes the bitterness of unrequited love, while the bergamot and the richness of the egg white represent a warm and friendly embrace.
Look for more recipes inspired by THE LOVE FOOL here.
Warning: Consuming raw or undercooked egg may increase your risk of foodborne illness.
We Were Never Together (or Emily’s Response)
- 1½ oz. gin
- 1 oz. Campari
- ⅓ oz. Italicus bergamot liqueur
- ¾ oz. simple syrup
- 1 egg white*
- 1 pinch finely ground black pepper (leave some for garnish)
- orange wheel
- floral bitter (optional)
- Add gin, Campari, Italicus bergamot liqueur, simple syrup, egg white, and most of the black pepper into shaker. (no ice)
- Dry shake (without ice) vigorously for about 30 seconds to create a foam.
- Add ice to tin and shake again for about 15-20 seconds, or until the outside of the tin frosts.
- Strain into a coupe glass.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of finely ground black pepper and an orange wheel.(optional: drop 3 dashes of floral bitter on top)